part of speech: noun
definition 1: a word or group of words by which something or someone is known.
- What is the name of that kind of snake?
- The name of the thirteenth president of the United States is Millard Fillmore.
definition 2: reputation.
- She has established a good name for herself.
part of speech: verb
inflections: names, naming, named
definition 1: to give a name to.
- I named my kitten Fluffy, because she has fluffy fur.
synonyms: call, designate
definition 2: to call or mention by name.
- The teacher named those who had to stay after school.
synonyms: designate, mention
definition 3: to choose for a particular office or duty.
- The mayor named him chief of police.
synonyms: appoint, assign, designate, nominate
derivation: named (adj.)