part of speech: verb
inflections: meets, meeting, met
definition 1: to come face to face with; encounter.
- Mel met Ann while he was waiting for the bus.
definition 2: to join (someone) at a time and place that has been agreed on.
- I’ll meet you at the bus station at noon.
synonyms: encounter, join
definition 3: to be introduced to.
- My parents will meet my teachers tonight.
definition 4: to satisfy.
- The trip met all of their hopes for a wonderful vacation.
definition 5: to gather together for a meeting.
- The chess club will meet next Tuesday.
synonyms: assemble, convene, gather
definition 6: to come to one spot and see one another, by chance or plan.
- We decided to meet at the restaurant at seven o’clock.
- Alan and his piano teacher met by accident at the grocery store yesterday.
definition 7: to come together; join.
- Look for a sign where the two roads meet.
part of speech: noun
definition: a gathering of athletes for a contest.
- Jefferson High School won the track meet.