part of speech: verb
inflections: makes, making, made
definition 1: to bring into being by building from separate parts.
- Tammy made a model airplane.
synonyms: assemble, build, construct, form, prepare
definition 2: to create or produce.
- Stop making so much noise!
synonyms: create, form, produce
definition 3: to cause to be.
- The news that his friend was moving made him sad.
definition 4: to force to.
- The teacher made him stop pulling her hair.
definition 5: to add up to.
- Two and six make eight.
synonyms: amount to, equal
definition 6: to put in order; prepare.
- I will make the bed if you’ll do the dishes.
- He makes dinner for us every night.
synonyms: arrange, fix, prepare
definition 7: to earn.
- Mr. Marks makes a lot of money.
definition 8: to arrive at or in time for.
- Did you make the bus?
definition 9: (informal) to be accepted as a member by showing that one has the necessary skills.
- Did you make the tennis team?
phrase: make believe
phrase: make up