part of speech: adjective
inflections: madder, maddest
definition 1: crazy; insane.
- He went mad after months of being imprisoned in a tiny cell.
synonyms: crazy, insane, irrational
definition 2: angry.
- My mother was mad at me when I didn’t do my chores.
synonyms: angry, enraged, fuming, furious, incensed, infuriated, irate
definition 3: suffering from rabies.
- A mad animal may act strangely and foam at the mouth.
definition 4: wild, confused, or frantic.
- The thief made a mad rush for the exit.
synonyms: disorderly, unruly, wild
definition 5: very fond of.
- My parents are mad about opera.
definition 6: not wise or practical; foolish.
- The officer at the bank thought that my uncle’s plan for making money was mad.
synonyms: crazy, insane
phrase: like mad
derivation: maddish (adj.)