part of speech: noun
definition 1: a large amount or number.
- We bought a lot of food for the party.
synonyms: deal, quantity
definition 2: a group of people or objects of the same type.
- My mother liked the lot of old dishes that were being sold at the auction.
synonyms: batch, group
definition 3: one of a set of objects used to decide something by chance.
- They drew lots to see who would go first.
definition 4: a piece of land.
- My brother hopes to build a house on the new lot that he just bought.
synonyms: parcel, property
definition 5: a person’s fate or situation in life.
- Is it my lot to be poor all my life?
synonyms: destiny, fate, fortune