part of speech: noun
definition 1: the state of being that sets animals and plants apart from rocks, minerals, and other things that are not alive. Things that have life grow, reproduce, and use energy.
definition 2: something that is alive, or all alive things.
- Ten lives were lost at sea yesterday.
- Pollution has affected the plant life in the area.
synonyms: being, organism
definition 3: the time between birth and death.
- He has had a long life.
synonyms: life span, lifetime
definition 4: the period during which something lasts or works.
- These tires should last for the life of my car.
synonyms: duration, lifetime
definition 5: way of being.
- Graham leads an active life.
synonyms: condition, existence, lifestyle
definition 6: energy, movement, or spirit.
- He is full of life.
synonyms: energy, liveliness, pep, vigor
definition 7: a biography or story of someone’s life.
- I have just finished reading a life of Gandhi.