part of speech: noun
definition 1: one of the usually green, flat parts of a plant or tree that grows from the stem or branch.
- Many leaves fell from the tree during the wind storm.
definition 2: a sheet of paper, usually bound in a book.
- Each side of a leaf is a page.
definition 3: the part of a table top, door, or the like that can be removed or is hinged.
- We will need to add a leaf to the dining room table.
phrase: turn over a new leaf
part of speech: verb
inflections: leafs, leafing, leafed
definition 1: to bear or sprout leaves.
- Has the tree you planted last year begun to leaf yet?
definition 2: to quickly turn the pages of a book, magazine, or the like (usually followed by “through”).
- She had time to leaf through the book, but not to read it.
synonyms: scan, skim, thumb
derivations: leafless (adj.), leaflike (adj.)