part of speech: noun
definition 1: the set of rules that people in a society must follow.
- Each country has its own system of law.
synonyms: code, constitution
definition 2: any one rule that government makes and that people in a society must obey.
- According to the law, you must be eighteen years of age to vote.
synonyms: act, principle, regulation, rule
definition 3: a force or principle that something is based on.
- “What goes up must come down” is a law of nature.
definition 4: the science, study, or profession dealing with legal matters.
- One must go to school for many years in order to have a career in law.
definition 5: the people or groups who enforce the rules in a society (used with “the”).
- He’s in trouble with the law again.
synonyms: authorities, cops, police
Word Builder: law +
lawful: according to the law; allowed by law.
unlawful: against the law; not allowed by law.
lawfully: in a lawful way; legal.