part of speech: adjective
definition 1: coming after or finishing behind all others.
- Ours is the last house on our block.
antonyms: first, front
definition 2: coming just before the present time; the most recent; latest.
- Last night I saw a shooting star.
definition 3: being the only one left.
- This is your last chance.
part of speech: adverb
definition 1: after all others.
- His name appeared last on the program.
definition 2: most recently in time.
- When did you last see him?
part of speech: noun
definition 1: a person or thing that is last.
- I was last in line for the movie.
antonyms: first, lead
definition 2: the final mention or sight.
- You haven’t seen the last of me.
phrase: at last
part of speech: verb
inflections: lasts, lasting, lasted
definition 1: to go on through time; continue.
- The movie lasted for two hours.
synonyms: abide, continue, endure, go on, persist
definition 2: to stay in good condition.
- My car lasted for a long time, but it finally broke down.
synonyms: endure, survive
definition 3: to remain in good supply.
- My Halloween candy lasted until December.
derivation: lasting (adj.)