part of speech: noun
definition 1: the solid part of the earth’s surface.
- Fish live in the sea, and tigers live on land.
synonyms: earth, ground
definition 2: a specific area of this surface.
- They built a house on the land they bought by the lake.
- This land will be used to grow corn this year.
definition 3: a country or nation.
- We visited many lands on our vacation.
synonyms: country, domain, dominion, nation
definition 4: soil that has a particular use or condition (often joined with another word to form another word).
- Some people think the desert is a wasteland.
- There is good farmland here.
part of speech: verb
inflections: lands, landing, landed
definition 1: to cause to touch down upon a surface.
- She landed the plane.
definition 2: to cause to end up in a certain situation or condition.
- A serious disease landed him in the hospital.
definition 3: to arrive upon the ground or other surface.
- The plane landed on time.
definition 4: to come to the shore.
- We landed on the north beach.
definition 5: to end up in some place or condition.
- He landed in jail soon after the trial.
synonyms: wind up
Word Builder: land +
landing: the space at the top of the stairs.
landlady: a woman who gets money by renting property.
landlord: a person who gets money by renting property.