part of speech: verb
inflections: knocks, knocking, knocked
definition 1: to rap, pound, or hit something, such as a door.
- Please knock before you enter the room.
synonyms: drum, tap
definition 2: to bump or crash.
- Eric’s bumper car knocked into mine.
synonyms: bump, jar
definition 3: to make a pounding or beating sound.
- The car’s engine knocks.
definition 4: to give a sharp blow to; strike; hit.
- The boxers knocked each other in the head several times.
synonyms: hit, rap, smack, strike
part of speech: noun
definition 1: the act or an instance of knocking.
- A knock on the door woke me up.
synonyms: rap, tap
definition 2: a sound made by a bad engine.
- When did you first hear the knock in your car?