part of speech: noun
definition 1: a metal object cut in a special way to open or close locks.
definition 2: something that leads to or helps someone get something.
- Hard work is the key to success.
definition 3: a list that gives an explanation of codes or symbols.
- We read a key to understand a map.
definition 4: a button or part of a machine or musical instrument that makes it work when pressed.
- This computer has twelve function keys.
- The piano has eighty-eight keys.
definition 5: the main tone of the scale in a musical work.
- This song is written in the key of C.
part of speech: adjective
definition: main; central.
- He made the key point in the discussion.
synonyms: cardinal, central, chief, essential, fundamental, main, primary
phrase: key up