part of speech: verb
inflections: keeps, keeping, kept
- definition 1: to hold or continue to hold.
- The bank will keep your money for you.
synonyms: have, hold, possess, retain
antonyms: abandon, discard, jettison, lose, return, scrap
definition 2: to manage, attend to, or take care of.
- He keeps tropical fish.
synonyms: attend, maintain, take care of
definition 3: to put or store.
- She keeps her notes in a locked drawer.
definition 4: to cause to remain in a certain state or position.
- Please keep the baby quiet.
- Keep the dog outside for a few minutes.
definition 5: to continue being responsible for; be faithful to.
- Peter kept his promise to Wendy.
synonyms: abide by, comply with, obey, observe
antonyms: break, neglect
definition 6: to continue; persist.
- Keep going along this road until you get to Main Street.
definition 7: to stop or hold back.
- He can’t keep from lying.
synonyms: cease, stop
part of speech: noun
definition: means of support; living.
- How do you earn your keep?
synonyms: livelihood, living, maintenance
derivation: kept (adj.)