part of speech: conjunction
definition 1: on the condition that; in the event that.
- If I pay, will you go to the movies with me?
definition 2: though it may be true that.
- If the car won’t start, can’t we find another way to go?
definition 3: when or in the event that.
- If he leaves for work around eight o’clock, he always gets stuck in traffic.
- If we stay at my grandmother’s house, I always sleep on the couch.
definition 4: whether.
- I don’t know if he wants to go to the zoo.
definition 5: I really wish that.
- If he could see me dancing!