part of speech: noun
definition 1: a building with connected rooms in which people of the same family or group live.
- This neighborhood has houses and shops.
synonyms: dwelling, home, residence
definition 2: the people who live in such a building; household.
- Our house has five people.
synonyms: family, household
definition 3: a building that is used for a particular purpose.
- We visit our house of worship every week.
- We went to the coffee house to meet our friends.
definition 4: a group or assembly that meets to write, discuss, and pass laws.
- The house is in session for six months a year.
definition 5: the audience at a public event.
- There was a large house for the film.
phrase: on the house
part of speech: verb
inflections: houses, housing, housed
definition: to provide room and board or living quarters for.
- That school houses students on campus.
- The animals are housed in a barn.
Word Builder: house +
housewares: things used in the kitchen of a house, such as utensils.
housewife: a woman who does not work outside of the home.
housework: the work of keeping a house clean and safe.