part of speech: adjective
inflections: hotter, hottest
definition 1: holding or giving off great heat.
- The hot soup was delicious.
antonyms: cold, lukewarm
definition 2: causing the physical feeling of great heat.
- It’s a hot summer day.
definition 3: causing a burning feeling in the mouth.
- I like to put hot pepper on my spaghetti.
synonyms: fiery, spicy
definition 4: showing or feeling anger or other strong emotion.
- He tries hard to control his hot temper.
synonyms: fiery, inflamed
definition 5: completely new or fresh.
- The newspaper is hot off the press.
antonyms: old, stale
definition 6: (informal) very popular at the current time.
- They see all the hot new movies.
- That style of sandal was very hot last summer.
phrase: in hot water
derivations: hotly (adv.), hotness (n.)