part of speech: noun
definition 1: the place where a person or animal lives.
- It’s fun to go places, but I like being at home too.
- The forest is home to many animals.
synonyms: address, dwelling, place, residence
definition 2: the house, apartment, or other building in which a person lives.
- Her home has three rooms.
synonyms: apartment, cabin, condominium, house, mansion, mobile home
definition 3: one’s family environment.
- He comes from an unhappy home.
- She grew up in a home that believed in the importance of education.
definition 4: the country, town, or other area where a person lives or grew up.
- Although I lived in Japan for ten years, Canada will always be my home.
synonyms: country, homeland
definition 5: a place where people who cannot take care of themselves live and are cared for.
- Our town has a group home for children who have no parents.
definition 6: home plate in baseball or softball.
- He ran to home as fast as he could.
synonyms: home plate
part of speech: adjective
definition: having to do with one’s home.
- His home life is happy.
synonyms: domestic, household
part of speech: adverb
definition 1: to or toward home; homeward.
- I take the bus home after school.
- It was late, so we decided to go home.
definition 2: in the direction pointed to or aimed at.
- Robin’s arrow struck home.
Word Builder: home +
homeless: having no home.
homemade: made at home, not in a factory.
homeroom: the classroom where you meet in the morning so the teacher can take attendance.
homesick: feeling sad because you are away from you home and family.
homework: work for school that you do at home.