part of speech: verb
inflections: hits, hitting, hit
definition 1: to give a blow or stroke to; strike.
- He hit the ground with a stick.
synonyms: club, rap, strike
definition 2: to come in contact with.
- The stone hit the window.
synonyms: bump, strike
definition 3: to drive or send by striking.
- He hit the golf ball with the club.
definition 4: to reach or get to.
- The car hit its top speed.
definition 5: to find, meet with, or discover.
- I hit some trouble in that math problem.
synonyms: come across, encounter, find, meet
definition 6: to have a strong effect on.
- Her leaving town hit me hard.
synonyms: affect, devastate, upset
part of speech: noun
definition 1: a blow or stroke.
- The boxer took three hits to the stomach.
synonyms: bang, blow, stroke
definition 2: someone or something that is very popular.
- The young piano player was a hit with the audience.
- The movie was a big hit.
definition 3: the batter’s successful contact with the ball so as to reach a base in a baseball game.
- He got a base hit.
derivations: hitless (adj.), hitter (n.)