part of speech: noun
definition 1: the top or leading part of an animal body. In vertebrates the head contains the brain, eyes, nose, ears, and mouth. In invertebrates, the head contains eyes, mouth parts, and other organs.
definition 2: mind; intellect; understanding.
- She has a good head for business.
definition 3: a position of leadership or authority, or the person in such a position.
- She is the head of the agency.
definition 4: the part of anything regarded as the top or most prominent part.
- He hit the nail on the head.
definition 5: one person or animal of a group, especially when they are being counted.
- She counted five head of cattle.
- The firehouse is charging ten dollars per head for the spaghetti dinner.
definition 6: the side of a coin that shows the main design.
- President Lincoln is on the head of a penny.
phrase: over one’s head
part of speech: adjective
definition: of the highest rank or position; superior; leading; primary.
- He is the head chef.
- I am the head waiter.
part of speech: verb
inflections: heads, heading, headed
definition 1: to be the director or head of; lead.
- He heads the children’s reading program.
synonyms: direct, lead
definition 2: to have the lead or top position or status.
- Chocolate heads our list of popular flavors.
definition 3: to move toward a certain goal or in a certain direction.
- He is heading for trouble.
- I am heading for the nearest diner.
phrase: head off
In Old English, the word for head was heafod. The modern spelling appeared first in 1420. At that time, the word “head” rhymed with “bead.”