part of speech: verb
inflections: guards, guarding, guarded
definition 1: to protect from danger or harm.
- The dog guarded the sheep.
synonyms: defend, preserve, protect, watch
definition 2: to watch over to prevent escape.
- Please guard the prisoners.
definition 3: to do what is necessary to prevent (followed by “against”).
- The farmers in the valley need to guard against floods in the rainy season.
part of speech: noun
definition 1: a person who watches out for danger or protects property.
- The museum had guards at every exit.
synonyms: defender, preserver, shield
definition 2: A person who watches over another person to prevent escape.
- There are guards in the prison day and night.\
synonyms: escort, lookout
definition 3: a device used to prevent harm to something.
- Soccer players wear shin guards.synonyms: defense, shield
phrase: off guard
phrase: on guard