part of speech: preposition
definition 1: used to show the purpose or aim of an action.
- They are working for peace.
- He was heading for the door.
definition 2: used to show who is to receive something or how it is to be used.
- The gift is for Julie.
- I put some money aside for a bike.
definition 3: as the result of.
- Jesse won a prize for his drawing.
definition 4: used to show a length of time.
- We walked for an hour.
definition 5: with respect to.
- It is too cold for June.
definition 6: in order to do or get.
- We are going for lunch.
definition 7: in place of.
- Who will speak for me when I’m not there?
definition 8: in favor of.
- They voted for the new law.
definition 9: in exchange for.
- He paid three dollars for that pen.
definition 10: by reason of; because of.
- They clapped for joy.
definition 11: used as a sign of; indicating.
- A dove is the symbol for peace.
part of speech: conjunction
definition: since; because.
- He won’t go, for he’s not feeling well.
for or since?
For tells how long an action or state has continued over time. Since tells when an action or state began.
I have lived here for five years.
I have lived here since 1999.