part of speech: verb
inflections: fixes, fixing, fixed
definition 1: to make stable or steady; fasten firmly; attach.
- He fixed the wooden sign to his tree house.
synonyms: attach, fasten, steady
definition 2: to decide on or set; bring into a final state that cannot be changed.
- We fixed a date for the party.
definition 3: to hold steady or direct.
- The teacher asked us to fix our attention on the map.
synonyms: direct, fasten, hold, rivet
definition 4: to mend or repair.
- Do you think you can fix my bike chain?
synonyms: correct, mend, repair
definition 5: to make or prepare.
- The cook fixed a delicious meal.
synonyms: make, prepare
definition 6: (informal) to set up through cheating so as to get what one wants.
- He fixed the card game by using marked cards.
part of speech: noun
definition: a difficult situation; trouble.
- I’m in a fix because I lost my lunch money.
synonyms: bind, dilemma, predicament, spot