part of speech: noun
inflections: fish, fishes
definition 1: an animal that lives in water and has fins for swimming and gills for breathing. Fish are cold-blooded animals with skeletons inside their bodies. Most fish have scales on their skin. There are many kinds of fish, including salmon, goldfish, tuna, and sharks.
definition 2: the meat of fish eaten as food.
- We had fish for dinner last night, and tonight we’re going to have beef.
phrase: fish out of water
part of speech: verb
inflections: fishes, fishing, fished
definition 1: to pull or draw out (often followed by “up” or “out”).
- He fished a sock out of the drawer.
definition 2: to catch or try to catch fish.
- Cara goes fishing almost every weekend with her father.
definition 3: to search for or try to find out about something, often in a way that is not direct.
- He’s always fishing around for new ideas.
- She fished in her purse for some coins.