part of speech: adjective
definition: before all others in time, importance, or quality.
- He was the first person to climb that mountain.
- She won first prize.
synonyms: cardinal, earliest, foremost, initial, main, original, paramount, premier, primary, prime, principal
part of speech: adverb
definition 1: in the position before all others.
- He finished first in the race.
antonyms: finally, last
definition 2: to begin with; firstly.
- We should read the directions first.
phrase: first off
part of speech: noun
definition 1: the number, person, or thing that comes before all others in a series.
- He was the first of many great jazz musicians.
definition 2: beginning.
- We were in trouble from the first.
synonyms: beginning, commencement, outset, start