part of speech: noun
definition 1: the heat, light, and flames produced by burning.
definition 2: a particular burning, as in a stove or furnace or other contained area.
- Mrs. Brown lit a fire in the fireplace.
definition 3: an instance of burning that harms or destroys.
- There was a fire at the library last night.
definition 4: excitement or passion; strong emotion.
- You could see the fire in his eyes when he talked about sailing.
synonyms: heat, passion
definition 5: the shooting of a weapon or weapons.
- The fire of guns marked the start of the parade.
synonyms: discharge, shot
phrase: catch fire
phrase: play with fire
phrase: set fire to
part of speech: verb
inflections: fires, firing, fired
definition 1: to shoot.
- Don’t fire that rifle!
synonyms: discharge, shoot
definition 2: to use extreme heat on; bake in a kiln.
- He fired the clay pots to make them hard.
definition 3: to let go or dismiss from a job.
- The boss fired him for being late to work.
synonyms: discharge, dismiss, sack
definition 4: to shoot a gun.
- He fired at the target.
phrase: fire up