part of speech: verb
inflections: finishes, finishing, finished
definition 1: to reach or cause the end of; complete.
- Let’s take a swim when we finish school today.
- Did you finish that book?
synonyms: close, complete, conclude, end, terminate, wind up
definition 2: to completely use up or eat (often followed by “up” or “off”).
- Someone finished off the last of the cake.
synonyms: polish off, use up
definition 3: to put a polish on or coat the surface of.
- She finished the old oak floors to protect them.
synonyms: lacquer, varnish
part of speech: noun
definition 1: the end or last part of something.
- It was a long movie, but we watched it to the finish.
synonyms: close, completion, conclusion, end
definition 2: the coating on or texture of a hard surface.
- The car’s finish is badly scratched.
derivation: finisher (n.)