part of speech: noun
definition 1: a white or yellow oily substance found in some parts of animals or plants. Fat is made of carbon, hydrogen, and oxygen.
- Foods with fat, like bacon, often taste good but are not very healthy.
- Butter and lard are fats.
definition 2: animal or plant tissue that contains such a substance.
- She complains about having fat around her middle.
synonyms: flesh, meat\
part of speech: adjective
inflections: fatter, fattest
definition 1: having a lot of extra flesh that is not muscle; plump; overweight.
- That cat is so fat that he can hardly jump.
synonyms: fleshy, heavy, obese, overweight
antonyms: lean, skinny, slim, thin, trim
definition 2: thick.
- How many pages does that fat book have?
antonyms: slender, thin
phrase: fat chance
derivation: fatness (n.)