part of speech: verb
inflections: fails, failing, failed
definition 1: to not do or not succeed in doing; be unable.
- Rick failed at the task.
antonyms: prosper, succeed, triumph
definition 2: to lose force or stamina.
- The runner’s strength began to fail after the fifteenth mile.
definition 3: to stop working.
- The engine failed, so we walked home.
synonyms: break down, die
definition 4: to not meet the hopes of; disappoint.
- You fail your friends when you lie to them.
definition 5: to forget to do or avoid doing something important or required.
- You can hurt yourself if you fail to follow the safety instructions.
definition 6: to receive a grade below passing in.
- Sue failed her driving test.
definition 7: to give a grade below passing.
- No teacher likes to fail a student.