part of speech: noun
definition 1: the front part of the head from the forehead to the chin and from ear to ear.
definition 2: a look or expression on the face that shows feelings.
- Why do you have such a sad face?
synonyms: aspect, expression
definition 3: the way something looks; outward look or appearance.
- On the face of it, the team seems likely to lose.
definition 4: one’s honor or self-respect.
- He saved face by saying he was sorry.
synonyms: dignity, honor
definition 5: a front part or surface.
- We climbed the face of the cliff.
- A cube has six faces.
phrase: face to face
phrase: in the face of
part of speech: verb
inflections: faces, facing, faced
definition 1: to look or turn toward.
- Please face me when you speak.
definition 2: to stand before or deal with in a brave way.
- Ed climbed that mountain to face his fear of heights.
antonyms: avoid, dodge, evade
definition 3: to turn or be placed so that the front is to a particular direction (usually followed by “on” or “toward”).
- That house faces toward the road.
phrase: face up to