part of speech: verb
inflections: expresses, expressing, expressed
definition 1: to make known (ideas, thoughts, or feelings).
- The president’s speech expressed the idea that good schools are needed to make the country stronger.
- Her big smile expressed her happiness and gratitude.
synonyms: communicate, convey, state
definition 2: to show or tell the thoughts or feelings of (oneself).
- He has good ideas and strong feelings, but he finds it hard to express himself in words.
part of speech: adjective
definition 1: stated in full; clear.
- I went to the town court for the express purpose of proving my innocence.
definition 2: of transportation, making few or no stops before reaching an intended place; rapid.
- We can still get there on time if we take the express train.
- We sent the important letter by express mail.
synonyms: direct, nonstop
part of speech: noun
definition: any fast means of transporting people, goods, or messages.
- We took the express into the city and got there in only an hour.
derivations: expressible (expressable) (adj.), expresser (n.)