part of speech: verb
inflections: enters, entering, entered
definition 1: to come or go in.
- We entered through the big doors on the side of the building.
synonyms: come in, go in
definition 2: to begin; start (usually followed by “upon”).
- They entered upon a new adventure.
synonyms: begin, embark, start
definition 3: to come or go into.
- I entered the house.antonyms: leave
definition 4: to pass through; pierce; penetrate.
- The nail entered the wood as he hit it with a hammer.
synonyms: penetrate, pierce
definition 5: to be admitted to; enroll.
- He was young when he entered college.
synonyms: sign up
definition 6: to take part in or compete in.
- We entered the race.
synonyms: compete in
definition 7: to write on a list; type into a computer.
- I entered my name on the sheet of paper.
synonyms: record, register, tally