part of speech: noun
definition 1: the point at which anything that has length starts or stops.
- Please tie a knot at the end of the string.
- There will be a stop sign at the end of the road.
definition 2: a point in time at which something stops or finishes; conclusion.
- I look forward to going home at the end of the day.
synonyms: close, completion, finish
antonyms: beginning, birth, dawn, onset, start
definition 3: the last part.
- I cried at the end of the show.
antonyms: beginning, start
definition 4: goal, purpose, or aim.
- I am working hard toward a good end.
synonyms: aim, goal, purpose
phrase: at loose ends
phrase: make ends meet
part of speech: verb
inflections: ends, ending, ended
definition 1: to cause to stop; finish; conclude.
- The fire in the building ended the school day earlier than expected.
synonyms: complete, conclude, finish
antonyms: begin, start
definition 2: to reach a finish or conclusion; stop.
- The class will end around 3:30pm.
synonyms: cease, stop
antonyms: abide, begin, continue
phrase: make both ends meet
phrase: end up
Word Builder: end +
ending: the last part of something.
endless: without end.