part of speech: noun
definition 1: a piece of clothing usually worn by girls or women. A dress has a top or blouse connected to a skirt.
definition 2: clothing in general.
- The performers wore the traditional dress of their country.
synonyms: apparel, clothing
part of speech: verb
inflections: dresses, dressing, dressed
definition 1: to put clothing on.
- She dressed the baby in his new outfit.
synonyms: array, clothe
antonyms: strip, undress
definition 2: to decorate.
- We dressed the windows with lace curtains.
synonyms: adorn, decorate
definition 3: to clean or put a bandage on; treat.
- He dressed the cut on his horse’s leg.
definition 4: to prepare for cooking.
- He dressed the turkey before roasting it.
definition 5: to put clothes on oneself.
- She dressed nicely for dinner.
phrase: dress up
derivation: dressed (adj.)
Word Builder: dress +
dress code: rules that tell you what you may or may not wear in a place.
dressed: wearing clothes.
dressmaker: a person who makes dresses and other women’s clothes.
dress shop: a shop that sells dresses and other women’s clothing.
dressy: formal; fancy.