part of speech: verb
inflections: divides, dividing, divided
definition 1: to separate into parts.
- Divide this piece of paper into thirds.
- The argument divided the class.
synonyms: partition, portion, section, separate, split
antonyms: join, unify, unite
definition 2: to share in equal parts.
- Let’s divide the pie among all of us.
definition 3: to separate a number into equal sets of another number by using division.
- Can you divide six by two?
definition 4: to become separated into two or more parts.
- The road divided into two narrower roads.
- See a movie for this meaning
synonyms: branch, fork, split
part of speech: noun
definition: a ridge of land that separates two areas.
- Rivers on the west of the continental divide flow into the Pacific Ocean.