part of speech: verb
inflections: digs, digging, dug
definition 1: to make a hole by removing dirt, sand, or the like.
- Pirates dig for buried treasure.
definition 2: to turn over or remove with a shovel or other tool.
- She dug dirt from the garden for potting some plants.
definition 3: to make by digging.
- We dug a big hole and planted the small tree.
- Some men were digging a ditch along the side of the road.
definition 4: to shove or poke.
- He dug his elbow in my side.
part of speech: noun
definition 1: a thrust or poke.
- He gave me a dig with his finger.
definition 2: a research project that involves digging for artifacts or bones.
- The archaeologist is on a dig in Egypt.