part of speech: adjective
inflections: dearer, dearest
definition 1: much loved.
- My dear friend Janet is coming to visit.
synonyms: cherished, loved, precious, treasured
definition 2: (capitalized) used as a greeting that begins a letter.
- “Dear Carlos,” the letter began.
definition 3: costing a lot of or too much money.
- A ring with a real diamond will be dear.
synonyms: costly, expensive, high, steep
part of speech: noun
definition: a person who is liked or loved by the person speaking.
- What would you like, dear?
synonyms: darling, honey
part of speech: interjection
definition: used to express surprise, disappointment, or dismay.
- Oh, dear! I’ve lost my key.
derivations: dearly (adv.), dearness (n.)