part of speech: verb
inflections: cuts, cutting, cut
definition 1: to pierce, slice, or open with a sharp tool such as a knife, ax, saw, or scissors.
- The barber cut my hair.
definition 2: to divide with something sharp.
- Cut the cake so that we can all have some.
synonyms: section, slice
definition 3: to make shorter or less; diminish.
- He cut his speech to ten minutes.
- The store cut its prices during the sale.
definition 4: to grow through the gum.
- The baby is cutting a new tooth.
definition 5: to be absent from on purpose.
- He cut all his classes today.
definition 6: to allow cutting or being cut.
- A dull knife doesn’t cut well.
- This tender meat cuts easily.
definition 7: to make a quick shift from one thing to another.
- The film cut to another scene.
definition 8: to go across or through something (usually followed by “through” or “across”).
- Matt cut across his neighbor’s yard on his way home.
- The path cuts through the woods.
part of speech: noun
definition 1: the act or result of cutting.
- I got a cut on my hand while chopping vegetables.
definition 2: the way in which something is cut.
- The cut of your clothes is very elegant.
definition 3: a decrease.
- The toy store is advertising a cut in prices.
synonyms: decrease, reduction, slash
definition 4: something left out or taken away.
- The editor made several cuts in the article.