part of speech: verb
inflections: cries, crying, cried
definition 1: to make a loud shout or yell (sometimes followed by “out”).
- Cry out if you need help.
synonyms: holler, shout, yell
definition 2: to shed tears as the result of pain or strong feelings; weep.
- The baby cried when he lost his toy.
definition 3: to make a sound or call characteristic of an animal.
- The hawk cried as it dove from the sky.
phrase: cry over spilled milk
part of speech: noun
definition 1: a loud shout or yell.
- I let out a cry when I hurt my toe.
synonyms: call, holler, shout, yell
definition 2: a short period of weeping.
- You’ll feel better after you have a good cry.
definition 3: the call of an animal.
- The cry of the wolf is a lonely sound.
phrase: a far cry