part of speech: verb
inflections: covers, covering, covered
definition 1: to put or spread something over or on.
- Cover your bicycle so it doesn’t get rained on.
synonyms: cloak, curtain, shelter, veil
antonyms: bare, expose, uncover
definition 2: to lie on the surface of.
- Snow covers the ground.
synonyms: blanket, carpet, cloak
definition 3: to take into account; include.
- The book on magic didn’t cover wizards.
synonyms: comprise, include
definition 4: to pass over a certain distance; travel.
- We covered a thousand miles in the car last summer.
part of speech: noun
definition 1: something laid over or on something else to shelter, protect, or hide.
- Put the cover back on the can of paint.
- The cover of a book helps keep the pages from being torn.
synonyms: cap, covering, lid, screen, shield, top
definition 2: something that hides or protects someone or something.
- The hikers looked for cover during the storm.
synonyms: asylum, harbor, haven, refuge, sanctuary, shelter
phrase: take cover
phrase: under cover
derivations: coverable (adj.), covered (adj.), coverer (n.)