part of speech: verb
inflections: controls, controlling, controlled
definition 1: to use power to manage or command.
- The king and queen control their country.
synonyms: command, direct, dominate, lead, manage, regulate, rule
definition 2: to hold back or restrain.
- My friend tries to control her quick temper.
synonyms: check, contain, curb, govern, guide, hold, limit, rein in, restrain, restrict, subdue
definition 3: to stop the spread or growth of.
- It is hard to control insects in our garden.
synonyms: confine, contain, curb, limit, rein in, restrict, stop
part of speech: noun
definition 1: the power or authority to control someone or something.
- Pirates have control over that island.
- Our teacher keeps control over our class.
synonyms: authority, command, direction, management, power, regulation, rule
definition 2: the condition of being directed or controlled.
- The car went out of control.
synonyms: restriction, slavery
definition 3: (often plural) something used to guide or operate a vehicle or other type of machine.
- The pilot used the controls to land the airplane safely.
synonyms: dials, switches
derivations: controllable (adj.), controlled (adj.), controllably (adv.)