part of speech: verb
inflections: collects, collecting, collected
definition 1: to gather together.
- I collected the papers that had fallen on the floor.
synonyms: assemble, gather, pile up
antonyms: disperse, distribute, scatter
definition 2: to gather things as a hobby; make a collection of.
- He has been collecting stamps since he was five years old.
synonyms: accumulate, save
definition 3: to get payment for.
- The landlord collected the rent.
synonyms: call for, fetch, take
definition 4: to make oneself calm, especially after being upset or disturbed.
- After the accident, she collected herself quickly.
part of speech: adjective & adverb
definition: paid by the person who receives the message.
- I made a collect phone call to my sister in Alaska.
- I called her collect.