part of speech: adjective
inflections: colder, coldest
definition 1: without heat or warmth.
- This room is so cold.
synonyms: chilly, cool
antonyms: hot, lukewarm
definition 2: having a body temperature below normal.
- After I waited outside in the snow, my fingers and toes were cold.
antonyms: hot, warm
definition 3: not kind or friendly.
- He gave me a cold stare and wouldn’t speak to me.
synonyms: chill, chilly, distant, icy
antonyms: affectionate, intimate, loving, warm
definition 4: feeling a lack of warmth in an unpleasant way; feeling chilled.
- I’m so cold that I need an extra blanket.
synonyms: chilled, chilly
definition 5: chilled by a refrigerator; served cool.
- Dad poured me a glass of cold milk.
synonyms: chilled, cooled, refrigerated
antonyms: hot, lukewarm, warm
part of speech: noun
definition 1: weather marked by low temperature.
- The cold was awful when I walked to school.
definition 2: a common sickness that causes sneezing, coughing, and a runny nose. Colds are caused by a virus.
synonyms: common cold, flu, influenza, virus
derivations: coldly (adv.), coldness (n.)