part of speech: adjective
inflections: cleaner, cleanest
definition 1: not dirty or stained.
- I got a clean dish from the shelf.
- He took a shower and put on a clean T-shirt.
antonyms: dirty, grubby, messy, muddy, soiled
definition 2: pure; free from pollution.
- Everyone should have clean air to breathe.
antonyms: dusty, impure
definition 3: done or made without difficulty or mistake.
- The soldiers made a clean escape from the prison camp.
definition 4: fair.
- It was a clean fight.
synonyms: fair, honest, just, upright
antonyms: dirty, unfair
phrase: come clean
part of speech: adverb
- The runaway horse jumped clean over the fence.
synonyms: altogether, completely, fully, totally
part of speech: verb
inflections: cleans, cleaning, cleaned
definition: to remove dirt or stains from; make clean.
- Clean your shoes on the mat.
synonyms: cleanse, wash
antonyms: dirty, soil
derivation: cleanness (n.)