part of speech: noun
definition 1: a group of people or things that are similar in certain ways.
- Of all the classes of books, my favorite is fantasy.
synonyms: category, form, group, kind, sort, type
definition 2: a group or division that is based on quality.
- That dealer sells a better class of cars.
definition 3: a group of people who have a similar way of life and position in society.
- Many members of the upper class live in large, fancy houses.
definition 4: all of the students who graduate in the same year.
- My brother was in the class of 1997.
definition 5: a group of students who meet together to learn in school.
- Everyone in Frank’s English class took a test today.
definition 6: a set of lessons for a group of students in a particular subject, or one lesson of such a set.
- Math class is at one o’clock every day.
- My mom loves the computer class she’s taking at the college in the evenings.
definition 7: a large grouping or division of living beings in biology.
- Tigers and sloths belong to the class of mammals.
part of speech: verb
inflections: classes, classing, classed
definition: to group into a class; classify.
- Our librarian classed the books by author.
Word Builder: class +
classmate: a person who is in the same class as you.
classroom: a room in a school where a class meets.