part of speech: noun
definition 1: glad feelings; happiness.
- We are filled with cheer during the holidays.
synonyms: gaiety, glee, happiness
definition 2: a shout of encouragement, happiness, or praise.
- The crowd let out a cheer when their favorite team scored a goal.
part of speech: verb
inflections: cheers, cheering, cheered
definition 1: to comfort or make happy (sometimes followed by “up”).
- The good news cheered them up.
synonyms: comfort, console
definition 2: to cry out in happiness or appreciation.
- When they heard the good news, everyone cheered.
- The audience cheered at the end of the play.
definition 3: to give a shout of encouragement or praise to (someone).
- They cheered the winners wildly.
synonyms: root for
definition 4: to become happier or less glum (usually followed by “up”).
- As the rain stopped, we began to cheer up.
derivations: cheeringly (adv.), cheerer (n.)