part of speech: noun
definition 1: the quality of happening by accident and without being planned or predicted.
- It was chance that led the lost boy to a house in the woods.
definition 2: luck; fortune.
- It was by chance that you won in that card game.
synonyms: fortune, luck
definition 3: a measure of how likely it is that a thing will happen; probability.
- What is your chance of winning the lottery?
synonyms: likelihood, probability
definition 4: opportunity.
- I would like the chance to travel someday.
definition 5: an action that could have bad results; risk.
- He took a chance and tried out for the school play.
phrase: on the off chance
part of speech: verb
inflections: chances, chancing, chanced
definition 1: to happen by accident.
- I chanced to see Mr. Sanchez on the bus.
definition 2: (informal) to take the risk of (often followed by “it”).
- The boat may sink, but we’ll have to chance it if we want to escape.
part of speech: adjective
definition: happening when not expected or planned; caused by accident.
- He had a chance meeting with an old friend.
phrase: chance it