part of speech: noun & verb
definition: a spelling of center used in Canada and Britain. See center for more information.
part of speech: noun
definition 1: the point that is the same distance from all points on the outside line or surface of something; exact middle.
- We will call the center of the circle point A.
definition 2: the area or part of something that forms the middle.
- There is a nut in the center of this candy.
- The post office is in the center of the town.
synonyms: core, heart, kernel, middle
definition 3: a place, person, or thing that is the main object of attention or interest.
- There were many good paintings, but the unusual sculpture was the center of attention at the exhibit.
synonyms: focus, hub
definition 4: a place of activity that attracts people from different places.
- We play basketball at the community center on Saturdays.
- Mali was a center of commerce and learning in the Middle Ages.
synonyms: base, focus, headquarters, hub, nucleus
definition 5: a player who is in a middle position on a playing field or court.
part of speech: verb
inflections: centers, centering, centered
definition 1: to place at a center.
- Please center the title on the page.
definition 2: to focus or concentrate.
- We centered our thoughts on finding ways to help the people in need.
synonyms: concentrate, focus