part of speech: noun
definition 1: something or someone that brings about a result or effect.
- Smoking is one cause of lung cancer.
- A cigarette was the cause of the fire.
synonyms: agent, influence, source
definition 2: good reason or enough of a reason.
- There is no cause for worry.
- He slapped me without cause.
synonyms: excuse, reason
definition 3: an idea or goal that many are interested in.
- They are working for the cause of world peace.
part of speech: verb
inflections: causes, causing, caused
definition: to make happen; be the cause of.
- The rain caused flooding.
derivation: causeless (adj.)