part of speech: verb
inflections: calls, calling, called
definition 1: to say in a loud voice or shout out.
- She called his name, but nobody answered.
synonyms: exclaim, hail, shout
definition 2: to tell to come.
- The bell called us to dinner.
synonyms: ask, invite, summon
definition 3: to telephone.
- Call me next week.
synonyms: phone, telephone
definition 4: to name.
- She called her story “The Missing Monkey.”
synonyms: entitle, name, term
definition 5: to make a visit.
- Please do call when you are in town.
definition 6: to give a descriptive name or label to.
- He called me a liar.
synonyms: label, name, term
phrase: call for
phrase: call off
part of speech: noun
definition 1: a shout or loud cry.
- We didn’t hear his call for help.
synonyms: cry, outcry, shout
definition 2: the sound made by a bird or animal.
- The bullfrog’s call sounds like a loose banjo string.
synonyms: cry, song
definition 3: an act of telephoning.
- We got her call early this morning.
synonyms: buzz, ring
definition 4: a short visit.
- He paid her a call.