part of speech: noun
definition 1: the work a person does to earn money; job or trade.
- What business are you in?
synonyms: career, employment, job, occupation, position, profession, vocation, work
definition 2: a company or other group that buys and sells goods or services in order to make money.
- She owns two businesses: a card shop and a restaurant.
synonyms: company, establishment, firm, industry, office, shop, store
definition 3: a duty, concern, or interest.
- It’s my business to see that the work gets done.
synonyms: affair, problem, province, question, responsibility
definition 4: the activity of buying and selling goods or services in order to make money.
- He decided to go into business instead of becoming a teacher.
definition 5: a particular matter, process, or event.
- His disappearance was a strange business.
synonyms: affair, circumstance, event, happening, matter, occurrence, process, situation
phrase: mean business
Word Builder: business +
businessman: a man who works in business.
businesswoman: a woman who works in business.
businessperson: a person who works in business.